Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP) Landlords

Elm City Communities (ECC) provides property owners with a steady pool of tenant prospects, online self-service tools, and personalized account management.

ECC’s HCVP works with single and multifamily property owners to provide housing opportunities for New Haven’s working families, seniors, disabled persons and veterans. ECC inspects the unit and negotiates a fair, market-driven rent with the owner. ECC-assisted residents pay approximately 30% of their monthly-adjusted income toward housing expenses directly to the property owner and ECC pays the difference. We operate solely within New Haven city limits.

The following steps summarize the process to become an HCV property owner:

  • Ensure your property is rent-ready
  • Market your property
  • Screen and select a tenant who has a non-expired Housing Choice Voucher
  • Complete and submit a Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA)

Getting Started

  • Visit our Property Owner Portal and attend a Property Owner Briefing online.
  • Get your property rent-ready. Download the Inspection Checklist [PDF].
  • Ensure that your unit meets the Housing Quality Standards (HQS) to ensure that all HCV participating units and the surrounding neighborhood are suitable for HCV residents. See the HQS Guidebook [PDF] for details.

Market Your Property

Landlords can market their property by registering it in the ECC’s online database or submit a listing to the: Elm City Communities Office, 360 Orange St., New Haven, CT. 06511

Advertisements in area newspapers are also suggested. Market your property to Housing Choice Voucher Program participants through our Mobility Counseling team.

Screen and Select Tenant

Of course, as the property owner, you would screen the HCV family just as you would any other prospective tenant. Ultimately, it is the HCV participant family’s decision whether or not to rent your property. Once you’ve screened and selected an HCV tenant, submit a Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA).

Rent Determinations 

  • The Public Housing Authority (PHA) must make a rent reasonableness determination at initial occupancy and whenever the owner requests a rent adjustment. The owner and family first negotiate the rent for a unit. 
  • The PHA (or independent agency in the case of PHA-owned units) will assist the family with the negotiations upon request. At initial occupancy, the PHA must determine whether the proposed rent is reasonable before a HAP Contract is signed.
  • The owner must not change the rent during the initial lease term. Subsequent requests for rent adjustments must be consistent with the lease between the owner and the family. 

Lease Effective Dates

Elm City Communities allows lease effective dates to be on the 1st of the month. Families are only permitted to move into a unit after the unit has passed HQS inspection.

Owner Portal Information

Visit our Property Owner Portal. We offer free interpretation and translation services for individuals with Limited English Proficiency (LEP). Click here to request assistance.

  • How to Navigate the Owner Portal/FAQs
  • Owner forms
  • Don’t have a portal account? Sign up and see what you’re missing.
  • Track in-progress moves
  • Review inspections appointments
  • Get inspection results
  • View payment statements

HCVP Owner Documents

HUD Documents

Sign up for ECC SMS Text Notifications

Customer Satisfaction Surveys

ECC Mobile App
How are we Doing?

Questions or Comments?