Helping you reach your goals
Family Self Sufficiency Program (FSS)
The ECC/HANH Family Self Sufficiency Program helps families obtain and maintain living wage employment (jobs that provide enough income to cover a family’s basic needs) by connecting residents to a variety of community services. FSS helps motivated individuals and families fulfill their goals, leading to total freedom from all forms of public assistance.
FSS is a voluntary program, open to most ECC/HANH Housing Choice Voucher Program and Public Housing residents receiving housing assistance. The FSS staff will assist participants in developing the skills and self-confidence needed to become self-sufficient.
We will support you in setting and achieving your goals and refer you to other services as needed, such as child care, education, transportation, job training, substance abuse treatment, consumer credit counseling, utility assistance, and other needed services.
Your Family Self-Sufficiency Program Service Coordinator will provide resources to help you:
- Complete your education goals
- Get a better paying job
- Increase your income
- Increase your credit score
- Create a savings (escrow) account
- Apply your savings to the down payment of a home of your own
Family Self-Sufficiency program is a powerful program, but can be difficult to explain. An interdepartmental team at Compass recently worked with a design studio to develop a short video to better explain to prospective Compass FSS clients and other stakeholders how the program works. Check out these versions in both English and Spanish:
Coordinators work individually with residents to determine a pathway that best meets their needs.
The FSS Program offers residents two pathways towards self-sufficiency. Each pathway includes a combination of referral and on-site program supports that address resident’s needs related to their set individual self-sufficiency goals.
Career Mapping Pathway
- Basic computer literacy
- English as a Second Language
- Financial Literacy
- Job readiness (interview prep, dress for success, resume building, etc.)
- Pre GED/GED Coursework
Career Progression Pathway
- Build savings
- Career Counseling/Coaching
- College preparedness
- Community building
- Resident Owned Business
- Specialized training (Professional Certifications in Culinary Arts, Early Childhood, Phlebotomy & Security Services)
For more information about the FSS program, please contact CED Manager Melody Ramos at (203) 498-8800, ext. 1026.
- Childcare, afterschool, and camps
- Linkage to college and certificate programs
- Credit counseling services
- Education opportunities
- Entrepreneurship – Resident-Owned Business program
- Homeownership counseling
- Linkage to substance/alcohol abuse treatment and counseling
- On-site and virtual programs and workshops
- Monthly financial literacy workshops
- Technology services (labs, ConnectHome, classes)
- 1:1 budgeting service
- Job training and placement
- Motivational coaching
- Facilitate computer labs
- On-site VITA tax services
- Transportation to onsite programs and workshops